Second Rapid Ideation Session Day 4: Nostrils, lips, throat and tongue

I have made progress on the modelling of the head of the Curupira (Blender, 2021). I am very pleased with how it has come out so far. Darrin Liles’ tutorial (Lile, D., 2020) is very extensive and goes into a lot of detail, but given that I still have 10 days more to work on this, I believe it is worth putting in the time to really get into modelling and ensuring that the creative artefact is of a high standard as possible. I intend to go deeply into modelling, rigging, blend shaping, texturing and rigging; however, I am still fully aware of the goal in sight and I am going to ensure that the character I create is suitable for a game and I will attempt to bring him into Unity so that the final creative artefact is interactive.

I have further refined the shape of the nose by adding more edge loops and manipulating the vertices around the nose and I have also created him some nostrils by extruding faces but then moving them up the nose.

The lips have been created by continuously extruding the edges around the hole of the mouth and then when I reach the centre, I brought them inside the head.

Curupira starting to look more like a person.

After this, I went into side view and turned on Wireframe mode. I then started extruding edges inside the head and until the throat, to create the inside of the mouth. This means that instead of seeing the entire hollow inside of the head of the model, you will see what looks more like the inside of a mouth when he opens it.

Looks a bit like an X-ray scan… no?

In addition, I went to face mode and I extruded two of the faces and extruded further until the character had a tongue. I then tweaked each of the edges and added more edge loops to refine the shape of the tongue.

His tongue

The next stages, as far as his head is concerned are to add a set of teeth with gums and also to create his eyelids. I will then move onto modelling his torso as well as his limbs.

I intend to give him hair at some stage but I will probably do this later in the process, once I have all the main aspects of his anatomy modelled.

So far, I have found this to be a smooth process. While there have been some micro challenges along the way, these have felt more like a core part of the creative process, as opposed to obstacles that hindered my progress, which is what happened frequently during the first rapid ideation session. I still feel very calm about this process and I am enjoying modelling my character and I feel confident I am able to use the tutorial to learn the skills, but readapt it to meet the needs of this project.

Kanban board

I have decided to add a new task to the Kanban board, which currently sits in the To Do list and that is Blend shaping. This is where I create different variations of the share of his face, which will then be combined and will allow the user to change his facial expressions with a controller.

Modelling is still the only task in progress and I envision this will be the case for at least the next few days.

So far, I have found using the Kanban framework to manage my project far more efficient and also a lot less intensive than Scrum. The Kanban board is playing a much more prominent role in this rapid ideation session and I am also finding it very beneficial for visualising my progress and adding new tasks to my project as I see fit. I am finding that is is very suitable for solo projects and I will continue to analyse this throughout this session.

Github repository

I have made one more commit to my repository, which is called Inside mouth and tongue and covers all of the work that I have documented above (Github Desktop, 2021). Again, this has been committed to the headmodelling branch.


Blender Foundation. 2021. Blender (2021). [Software]

Github, Inc. 2021. Github Desktop (2021). [Software]

Lile, D., 2020. Blender 2.8 Character Creation | LinkedIn Learning, formerly [online] LinkedIn Learning. Available at: [Accessed 14 March 2021].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *